About Once Upon a Word: We're a large group of multi-talented authors working together, to bring you the best romances.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

REVIEW: Last Stand at Bitter Creek by Tom Rizzo

A REVIEW BY TROY D. SMITH

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Tom Rizzo's new novel Last Stand at Bitter Creek -and reading the book confirmed the positive buzz. My only previous experience with Rizzo was through his work at Wild West Magazine- and believe me, folks who write for that magazine have to know their history. Editor Greg LaLire makes sure of it.



In fact, it was an article Rizzo wrote for Wild West many years ago, about the first train robbery, that inspired this novel. Not only is there a lot of history in the book... in some ways the novel is about history.

The basic plot: in the final days of the Civil War, weary Union intelligence agent Grant Bonner accepts one final mission. A series of twists and turns follows, so intricate that I can't go into much detail for fear of betraying plot points. But there is a train robbery, accompanied by a larger theft -that of a priceless national treasure. Bonner ends up on the run, cut off from his handlers, wanted for crimes he did not commit -trying both to solve the crime and clear his name. It all comes to a head in the town of Bitter Creek, Wyoming.



First off, how could you have a better western title than Last Stand at Bitter Creek? I'm just sayin'. And Rizzo has produced a real page-turner. This book is equal parts Bourne Conspiracy, National Treasure, the 1990s Robert Urich western series The Lazarus Man, and old-fashioned Louis L'Amour adventure yarn.  And it works.

I recommend this highly to anyone who likes any of the stuff I just mentioned... or who just likes a good story.

Tom has graciously offered a free ebook copy of Last Stand at Bitter Creek to one fortunate visitor.
To enter just leave a comment.  
Please include your email address if you are not a Blogger member for contact purposes if you win. 

5 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Troy, and a great book, Tom!
    I enjoy reading history which does not seem like a history lesson. I agree that Tom has woven the history throughout the intricate plot so that one does not even realize they are absorbing it.
    I'm looking forward to reading more of your work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Rebecca, for the kind words. I enjoyed writing it, and I look forward to the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Tom has got to be very excited about your wonderful review for Last Stand at Bitter Creek, Tory. Terrific review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H Sara--I agree 100%. Troy's review was indeed terrific, and I'm humbled by his remarks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments relevant to the blog post are welcome as long as they are noninflammatory and appropriate for everyone of all ages to read.
Thank you for your interest and input.