About Once Upon a Word: We're a large group of multi-talented authors working together, to bring you the best romances.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Writing Process by Vicki Crum @RebeccaJVickery #author #books

Every author has his or her own distinctive writing process. For me, writing is very much like reading in that it is a journey of adventure and discovery. Discovering new worlds, meeting new and interesting people, visiting places and doing things that I would never be able to do outside of a book.

Writing allows me to create my own worlds and populate them with characters from my imagination. It can be quite a heady feeling at times—when it’s not frustrating the heck out of me. As odd as it sounds, once I’ve breathed life into a character, they often take on a personality all their own and go off in directions that I don’t even anticipate. It’s a very strange phenomenon, but I know every writer understands exactly what I mean. It’s kind of like having children. You breathe life into them, but you don’t always have as much control over them as you’d like.

Take the hero from my latest release, Once in a Blue Moon. Jake Benedict has it all. He’s tall hot Harley Davidson motorcycle. Jake has all the physical characteristics of a great romantic lead. Then there’s his hefty bank account. Jake is the co-owner of a multi-million dollar advertising agency, so money is clearly not an issue for him. But Jake wanted more. Not money or possessions, he wanted to be more…more mysterious, more unique and potentially dangerous in the right situation. So I created a major aspect of Jake’s character that was completely new to me. I made him a werewolf.
and strong, handsome as sin, has a to-die-for-smile, an excess of natural charm, and a really
           
But still he wasn’t satisfied. He wanted more for Casey, too, the woman he was destined to meet and fall in love with.

For her part, Casey wants nothing to do with Jake. He’s just one more version of the macho, adventure-driven, alpha male prototype that has been her Achilles heel for as long as she can remember. She’s taken a vow to stay as far away from men like Jake as she can. Unfortunately for Casey, the dynamic attraction she feels for him is stronger than any willpower she can muster. Why? Because Jake saw something in Casey that even I didn’t see until the last moment, starting with an unusual birthmark partially hidden behind one ear that identifies her as a rare and elite breed of werewolf. A stubborn case of recessive genes is responsible for Casey having never experienced her first transition into wolf form.

Who would have known?
 
My hero, Jake, did.
           
Then he left it to me, the lowly author, to explain where Casey’s werewolf heritage came from, and why no one in her family had ever bothered to tell her about it!
           
And that’s how a character of my own creation can sometimes push me around—and immensely enrich the story at the same time. Thanks, Jake!
           
What is your writing process? How do you make your characters come alive on the page?
           
Casey Montgomery's lifelong addiction to bad boys has brought her nothing but heartache. Just as she swears off alpha males forever, a brief, torrid encounter with one of the hottest, Harley-riding, leather-jacketed hunks she's ever seen leaves her reeling – and worse, jeopardizes her carefully laid plans to meet and fall in love with a nice, dependable nerd.

Jake Benedict has been around the block enough times to recognize his mate when he meets her, a gorgeous werewolf with a case of latent genes who doesn't have a clue about her true identity. Jake is just the were to teach Casey about her ancient heritage and coax her feral side into revealing itself.
While Casey can't resist the intense physical attraction she feels for Jake, she's determined to freeze him out emotionally. Can Jake break through Casey's defenses and prove to her once and for all that he's one bad boy who's playing for keeps?


Only 99¢ for the Spring Sale!
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
 
 

I can't remember a time when I didn't love to read. Some of my favorite books growing up included Little Women, Black Beauty, Nancy Drew Mysteries, every single book in the Little House on the Prairie series, and as a teenager I devoured every Victoria Holt novel I could get my hands on. In

1972, a friend loaned me her copy of The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss. It was a roaring adventure from start to finish, daring and exciting and oh-so-romantic. That book was the beginning of the romance genre as we know it today, and I was instantly hooked! I went on to read all of Kathleen Woodiwiss' novels over the years, adding a host of other romance authors to my "must read" list. Amanda Ashley (Madeline Baker), Linda Howard, Nora Roberts, and Julie Garwood are just a few of my favorites. In the late 90's, with both my young daughters in school, I joined Romance Writers of America and sat down to try my hand at crafting my own special tale of love and redemption. I have learned so much since then, made many wonderful friends, and even forged some lasting relationships with a few of the authors who inspired me to embark on the journey that has brought me here. I can't thank them enough.

When I'm not traveling with my husband of 39 years, or playing with our two adorable grandchildren, I'm at home near the ocean in Southern California, letting my imagination run wild. I love to write contemporary romance because of the endless reservoir of plot ideas. I write straight contemporary romance, romance with an other-worldly flair, and look for my next book, in which I will be delving into the paranormal world.  Website / Facebook

7 comments:

  1. I love the way you talk about something coming as a surprise to you in the story. That's when the story and characters take on a life of their own and tell their own story, and I live for those moments in my own writing. Did you fear that making your hero Jake both a hunk and rich was making him too perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Gerald. That's always my fear. The character must have a flaw. Vicki, I need time to read this book! I loved that first chapter. I already like Jake-- perfect or not. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to post this: Once in a Blue Moon by Vicki Crum has been nominated for the RONE Award from InD'tale Magazine for Best Paranormal Book. Voting starts today and lasts for a week--until April 24th. Votes are appreciated! Just click on the link below and sign up for a (free) account to vote. Book is in the Paranormal category. Thank you so, so much!!!
    InD'tale voting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm mostly a pantser, but I do plot things out and write down things to remember.

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a plotter. I know exactly where I'm going and what happens next. When it comes to getting those scenes down on the page is not always easy--it's moments of inspiration and writing madness with periods of slogging in between.
    Good luck with the Rone award for ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a panster. But I need time to daydream and think only what I want to. If anything interferes--for example: "Honey, it's time for your dental appointment. Let's get going!" Well, that can kill it right there.
    Often, my story has taken an entirely different turn, and then I must wonder..where am I...or my character..is going with this?
    I admire anyone who is a successful author. But I could not even envision how to write a story about a werewolf.
    I wish you luck with the award! We at PBRJV are always happy for our fellow authors. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki, I'm sorry I'm late reading this most enjoyable blog. I'd like to add that I'm a panster. I always try to get my characters talking to each other and then I get to know them. After that, they take over the story and I become a "recorder." Sometimes the action outpaces my ability to write it down! I wish you continued success with your books. You are certainly a great addition to our publishing "family."

    ReplyDelete

Comments relevant to the blog post are welcome as long as they are noninflammatory and appropriate for everyone of all ages to read.
Thank you for your interest and input.